Wednesday 5 October 2011

Rajiv Gandhi Cancer Institute and Research Centre ----Part 3

On Monday, the 3rd October,2011, Aishwarya, my son,.brought the report of FNAC test conducted at Sir Ganga Ram hospital. Before he could get it home he had read it out to Ankit, my son-in-law. Ankit gave me a phone call. His voice sounded elated. He said Aishwarya had read out the report to him and that it was good. I was a little apprehensive, for I thought that Aishwarya might not have been able to understand the medical terminology in which such reports were generally written.
Ankit and his parents came to visit in the evening, Soon Aishwarya also reached home. I took the report from him and read it. As expected, there was a lot of jargon in the report but a layman could still get the drift. No cancer was reported. Somehow I was still not convinced but we could all feel a sense of well being Now we were to show the report to the doctor who had advised me to undergo the test. Dr. Zaidi was kind enough to have given me his card and therefore, his telephone number was available with me. However, I did not want to disturb him at night. So I decided to wait till the next day. On the 4th October I spoke to him in the morning and sought an appointment for the day. He was considerate enough to ask me to come around 4pm although it was his OT day. Aishwarya and I drove down to the Dilshad Garden metro station and boarded the train  which would take us to the Rohini West station. Ankit was to come direct to the hospital.  When we reached the office in front of the operation theatre, it was 4:27pm. The lady sitting there informed me that the doctor would be available only later as he was busy in an operation and that we should wait. The doctor came out for a few minutes around 6pm and asked us to wait some more. At 6:30pm he sent a message from inside the OT that he would be out in about ten minutes time. He could come out only at 7pm and straight away apologised for keeping us waiting. Then he had a look at the report and asked me whether the procedure was conducted by Dr. Mandhir Kumar himself. It was then that the sweetest words came out of his mouth- there is no cancer i.e.there is no new growth and that I could continue with my daily tasks unhindered. He also said that I should continue to get reviews done at an interval of three months either from Dr. Anil Agrawal , the surgeon who had performed the surgery or  from them i.e. RGCI&RC unless there is some problem in between.. On being asked whether there was a need   to consult Dr.Doval ,the medical oncologist, he answered in the negative saying that there was no need of any medication at this stage. We thanked him profusely and came out. Ankit said that it was reassuring to hear from a doctor's mouth what we had ourselves  derived from the report the day before.  We  reached home around 8:15pm first reaching the Dilshad Garden metro station by metro and then by car which we had parked at the station. We  dropped Ankit on the way. I was tired but reasonably satisfied. It was as if I had come out of jail.  

1 comment:

  1. We're looking for kidney donors for the sum of $500,000,00, For more details,Email: donyahockett2018@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete